The 2022 The Players Championship is here, and we're back with our PGA Tour expert picks and betting tips for the tournament at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
Every week, we share our PGA Tour player rankings, and they are agnostic of competition. Whether you're betting on golf, playing in a fantasy golf leagues or competing in a DFS (DraftKings, FanDuel) event, our picks highlight the top players to watch this week.
Here are our 2022 The Players Championship rankings and expert picks, as we do each week of the PGA Tour season.
2022 The Players Championship preview
The Players Championship is this week, and the event features the best field of the year. A total of 47 of the world top 50 are in the field, and the Stadium Course really is a delightful tournament course. It asks interesting, varying questions and truly does level the playing field for most any type of player.
Take a look at my top 10 for this week.
JOIN FOREBUCKS: Access a winning PGA Tour model, unique tools and in-depth analysis for just $30/year!
2022 The Players Championship rankings: Top 10 expert picks
1. Patrick Cantlay: Cantlay just doesn't miss. Even when he plays poorly by his standard, he has a chance. This course should suit his game.
2. Viktor Hovland: Hovland nearly pulled it out at Bay Hill, suggesting he could be ready to win on a major-like setup this year. He'll get one this week.
3. Scott Scheffler: Scheffler won at Phoenix and Bay Hill against fantastic fields on two quite different setups. His career is changing this year.
4. Jon Rahm: Rahm is the world No. 1, but he's not showing out his best so far in 2022. Still, he's producing great finishes again and again.
5. Justin Thomas: JT is playing some inspired golf this year. He just hasn't gotten through yet. He would be the first player to repeat at Sawgrass in The Players.
6. Xander Schauffele: Xander struggles to win (much less the big one), but he also consistently contends in deep fields. Would you like him to win this week? No. But every other place is available.
7. Rory McIlroy: Rory once again fired a final-round 76 at Bay Hill, and he's not happy about the setup there. He should like softer conditions at Sawgrass.
8. Hideki Matsuyama: It's been wiped from the record books, but Matsuyama's opening 63 in The Players just before the pandemic sticks with me. He can play this course really well.
9. Brooks Koepka: Koepka is so mercurial of late. He's either a contender or a pumpkin. He's priced as such in the outright markets.
10. Billy Horschel: It's time to acknowledge how well Horschel is playing. It's ugly to watch, but it's effective.