The 2017 PGA Championship field for the week at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, has taken shape, and the game's final major championship of the year should see a field of strong contenders from around the world.
The PGA Championship field is set in two ways. The first is earning an exemption by falling into one of 11 categories set forth by the PGA of America, including winning majors and other important tournaments, finishing highly in season-long points races or other means.
The other piece of it is by being a PGA of America professional who finishes in the top 20 of the PGA Professional National Championship.
A golfer has to be one of the best on the planet to qualify for the PGA Championship.
PGA Championship qualifying and exemption categories
- Former PGA Champions: Rich Beem, Keegan Bradley, John Daly, Jason Day, Jason Dufner, Pádraig Harrington, Martin Kaymer, Davis Love III, Rory McIlroy, Shaun Micheel, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, David Toms, Jimmy Walker, Y.E. Yang
- Winners of the last five U.S. Opens: Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose, Jordan Spieth
- Winners of the last five Masters: Sergio García, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Danny Willett
- Winners of the last five Open Championships: Zach Johnson, Henrik Stenson
- The 2017 Senior PGA Champion: Bernhard Langer
- The top 15 and ties from the 2017 PGA Championship: Paul Casey, Branden Grace, Emiliano Grillo, Tyrrell Hatton, Hideki Matsuyama, William McGirt, Patrick Reed, Webb Simpson, Robert Streb, Daniel Summerhays
- The 20 low scorers in the 2016 PGA Professional National Championship: Alex Beach, Rich Berberian, Jr., Jamie Broce, Paul Claxton, Stuart Deane, Matt Dobyns, Greg Gregory, Jaysen Hansen, Scott Hebert, Dave McNabb, Chris Moody, David Muttitt, Rod Perry, Kenny Pigman, Adam Rainaud, Mike Small, Brian Smock, Omar Uresti, Ryan Vermeer, J. J. Wood
- The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour, starting from the week prior to the 2016 RBC Canadian Open through the 2017 RBC Canadian Open: Daniel Berger, Wesley Bryan, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Bud Cauley, Kevin Chappell, Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood, Rickie Fowler, Lucas Glover, Bill Haas, Adam Hadwin, James Hahn, Brian Harman, Russell Henley, Charley Hoffman, J. B. Holmes, Billy Horschel, Charles Howell III, Mackenzie Hughes, Kang Sung-hoon, Kim Si-woo, Kevin Kisner, Russell Knox, Kelly Kraft, Matt Kuchar, Martin Laird, Danny Lee, Marc Leishman, Luke List, Jamie Lovemark, Francesco Molinari, Ryan Moore, Kevin Na, Sean O'Hair, Louis Oosthuizen, Pat Perez, Thomas Pieters, Ian Poulter, Jon Rahm, Patrick Rodgers, Xander Schauffele, Charl Schwartzel, Cameron Smith, Brandt Snedeker, Kyle Stanley, Brendan Steele, Hudson Swafford, Justin Thomas, Jhonattan Vegas, Gary Woodland
- Members of the 2016 United States and European Ryder Cup Teams, provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament: Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Rickie Fowler, J. B. Holmes, Matt Kuchar, Ryan Moore, Thomas Pieters, Brandt Snedeker, Andy Sullivan, Lee Westwood, Chris Wood
- Winners of PGA Tour events since the 2016 PGA Championship: Daniel Berger, Jonas Blixt, Wesley Bryan, Kevin Chappell, Bryson DeChambeau, Cody Gribble, Adam Hadwin, Brian Harman, Russell Henley, Billy Horschel, Mackenzie Hughes, Kim Si-woo, Kevin Kisner, Russell Knox, Marc Leishman, Grayson Murray, Rod Pampling, Pat Perez, D. A. Points, Jon Rahm, Xander Schauffele, Cameron Smith, Kyle Stanley, Brendan Steele, Hudson Swafford, Justin Thomas
- To fill the field of 156, additional players can be invited beyond 70th on the special PGA Championship money list:
- The 2016 men's Olympic golf champion: N/A (Justin Rose)