Each week, including this week’s 2020 Travelers Championship, Golf News Net offers daily fantasy (DFS) golf advice, picks, lineups and tips for DraftKings PGA Tour games, scrutinizing the pricing model and looking for players who will perform best in both guaranteed prize pool (GPP) events and cash games.[s2If !is_user_logged_in()]
FOR GNN PLUS MEMBERS ONLY!
For $5 per month or just $50 per year, GNN Plus members get access to our in-depth weekly DraftKings picks, searchable database of PGA Tour results from 2011-present and top-15 PGA Tour trends.
You’ll also have access to our course fit modeling, Quality Stokes Gained data, course demand insights, grass-specific performance and further tools, as well individual access to fantasy expert Ryan Ballengee for your unique questions.
ADDITIONAL TOOLS INCLUDE
- Searchable PGA Tour results
- PGA Tour top-15 finish trends
- Player-course fit modeling
- Course demands breakdown
- Quality Strokes Gained data
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools, sign up for GNN+![/s2If] [s2If is_user_logged_in()]
2020 Travelers Championship preview
This week is going to be an interesting one on the PGA Tour. With the specter of positive COVID-19 tests, there may be a different feel this week in Hartford.
However, the good news for players competing this week is the tournament is being played in its normal place on schedule, so the players should expect typical tournament conditions — unlike the last two weeks.
2020 Travelers Championship DraftKings picks
Each week, we’ll offer players in 3-5 buckets of pricing so as to offer some mix-and-matching with your lineups based on our recommendations.
Recent PGA Tour Trends
We start by looking at the recent past, back at players who have finished inside the top 15 in the last five individual PGA Tour events.
- Abraham Ancer – 3 – T-12 WGC Mexico, T-14 Colonial, 2nd RBC Heritage
- Bryson DeChambeau – 4 – 2nd WGC-Mexico, 4th Arnold Palmer Invitational, T-3 Colonial, T-8 RBC Heritage
- Matt Fitzpatrick – 2 – T-9 Arnold Palmer Invitational, T-14 RBC Heritage
- Tyrrell Hatton – 3 – T-6 WGC Mexico, WIN Arnold Palmer Invitational, T-3 RBC Heritage
- Sungjae Im – 3 – WIN The Honda Classic, 3rd Arnold Palmer Invitational, T-10 Colonial
- Rory McIlroy – 2 – 5th WGC-Mexico, T-5 Arnold Palmer Invitational
- Collin Morikawa – 2 – T-9 Arnold Palmer Invitational, P-2 Colonial
- J.T. Poston – 2 – T-10 Colonial, T-8 RBC Heritage
- Patrick Reed – 3 – WIN WGC-Mexico, T-15 Arnold Palmer Invitational, T-7 Colonial
- Justin Rose – 2 – T-3 Colonial, T-14 RBC Heritage
- Xander Schauffele – 2 – T-14 WGC Mexico, T-3 Colonial
- Justin Thomas – 2 – T-6 WGC Mexico, T-10 Colonial
- Gary Woodland – 3 – T-12 WGC-Mexico, T-8 The Honda Classic, T-9 Colonial
Event Finish History
We like to look for potential horses for courses with most PGA Tour events, particularly those with regular host courses. Here are players with multiple top-15 finishes in this event in the last five years it was played.
- Keegan Bradley – 2
- Patrick Cantlay – 2
- Paul Casey – 4
- Jason Day – 2
- Bryson DeChambeau – 2
- Brian Harman – 3
- Russell Henley – 2
- Charley Hoffman – 2
- Danny Lee – 2
- Patrick Reed – 2
- Brandt Snedeker – 2
- Kevin Streelman – 2
- Kevin Tway – 2
It seems to me the best way to use Strokes Gained data is to give a sense of a course fit. My working theory is a player is a course fit — or a potential course fit, at least — if their Strokes Gained breakout when they finish in the top 25 is similar to the average for top-25 finishers at this week’s event.
This week, here’s the breakdown:
Tee to Green: 63%
Off the Tee: 20%
Around the Green: 17%
Fits could include:
2020 Travelers Championship DraftKings recommendations
$10,000 and up
We have four players in this group, and I think you should look at Bryson only. Everyone else feels a bit expensive.
We have 16 players in this group, and this is where you really make your team. Cantlay should do well, but he’s rusty. The model loves Rose, Woodland, Xander, Reed, Morikawa and Finau. Sungjae should bounce back. Ancer is a good pick, and Matt Fitzpatrick is a steal this week. Paul Casey is the horse-for-course pick of the week.
DraftKings typically breaks the rest of the field in half at the $7,000 mark. Poulter rates well again this week. Niemann is a fit. Hovland, Scheffler, Dahmen are my guys. HV3 rates well, too.
Below or at $7,000
We’re looking for bargains in this range. Jim Furyk has a great history here. Russell Henley is a great value.
My Travelers Championship DraftKings lineup
- Abraham Ancer – $9,000
- Paul Casey – $8,900
- Tony Finau – $8,200
- Matthew Fitzpatrick – $8,100
- Joaquin Niemann – $7,900
- Ian Poulter – $7,800