With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 AT&T Byron Nelson and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Another week, another good pick, another befuddling miss. Phil Mickelson is a certified Quail Hollow fan, but the guy couldn't find land off the tee on Thursday and Friday, so that was that. Rory McIlroy looked good until Sunday (again), and Rickie Fowler did his usual low-profile great finish thing. Paul Casey was solid, too.
Now we move to the AT&T Byron Nelson, the final stop before the first May PGA Championship at Bethpage State Park on Long Island. We have a modest field this week, with a bunch of the top-50 talent coming from overseas, here to get acclimated to American golf again. It's the second year at the wide-open Trinity Forest Golf Club, where Aaron Wise won last year. Tony Romo is playing, too.
2019 AT&T Byron Nelson One and Done picks
- Brooks Koepka -- If you don't use Koepka next week, what are we even doing here?
- Scottie Scheffler -- Just locked up his PGA Tour card for next year, playing great wherever he goes.
- Adam Schenk -- Really not bad of late. An MC in his last four, but also some solid high finishes. If you're looking for a gamble...
- Rafa Cabrera Bello -- A decent little run on the PGA Tour of late, which is solid for this weak field.
- Rory Sabbatini -- A close call at Harbour Town and a T-18 at Quail Hollow. He's on the right path.
My pick this week will be Scottie Scheffler. I feel like taking a gamble this week because making the smart picks isn't paying off.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-22)
- Genesis Open: Bubba Watson (T-15)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-19)
- Puerto Rico Open: Rafael Campos (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Adam Scott (MC)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Marc Leishman (T-23)
- The Players Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-56)
- Valspar Championship: Gary Woodland (MC)
- Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship: Rory Sabbatini (T-39)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Matt Fitzpatrick (T-60)
- Valero Texas Open: Billy Horschel (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Rory McIlroy (T-21)
- RBC Heritage: Ian Poulter (T-10)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Patrick Reed (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Phil Mickelson (MC)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Scottie Scheffler