With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Paul Casey did it! He finally won with a 54-hole lead, and he became the first person to successfully defend the title at the Valspar. That’s a big deal, and what a bounce back after a horrible, one-off week at The Players. Meanwhile, we were on the unfortunate end of variance, as Gary Woodland, one of the Tour’s steadiest cut-makers and a past champion at Innisbrook, saw his cuts-made run end.
It was a pretty brutal week for that, but we have two cracks at it this week. We have the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play and the opposite-field Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship. We make our WGC picks here, but focusing on the Dominican Republic, we have to think of this as a huge toss up. They’ll go deep into the alternate list on this event, and the weather was a big factor last year. I’m sticking with current quality, and that’s hard to find in this field.
2019 Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship One and Done picks
- Denny McCarthy — A great finish here last year was huge for him, and he’s coming off two very good finishes at Players and Valspar.
- Joel Dahmen — Dahmen is a breath of fresh air, and he should learn something from getting out front at Tampa and blowing up.
- Joaquin Niemann — Not as hot as when he came out last year, he’s still making cuts galore and cashing checks. His talent is unquestionable.
- Rory Sabbatini — The Boy from Brataslava is doing well of late, and he did have a high finish at Tampa.
My pick this week will be Rory Sabbatini. I would pick Denny as a homer, but I think Sabo is the right call here.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-22)
- Genesis Open: Bubba Watson (T-15)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-19)
- Puerto Rico Open: Rafael Campos (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Adam Scott (MC)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Marc Leishman (T-23)
- The Players Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-56)
- Valspar Championship: Gary Woodland (MC)
- Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship: Rory Sabbatini
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: CLICK HERE