With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 WGC-Mexico Championship and 2019 Puerto Rico Open and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
This week, we get to make TWO picks! We have the 72-player, no-cut WGC-Mexico Championship in Mexico City, and we also have the 132-player, opposite-field Puerto Rico Open (where I'll be playing in the Wednesday pro-am!). Most leagues should make you select a player for each tournament this week, so we'll give you one for each. If you don't have to do the opposite-field events, then you can throw those players I use back in your pool.
2019 WGC-Mexico Championship One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: Likes this layout, and he clearly can dominate a place like this, which is so short.
- Tommy Fleetwood: Fleetwood isn't on a heater so far this season, but he's been solid enough, and he has top-15 finishes in both editions.
- Phil Mickelson: He's tired. He's absolutely tired. But if you need a bold move, he could be it.
- Justin Thomas: Could be a great bounceback this week after letting the win get away from him at Riviera.
- Paul Casey: A good few weeks for Casey and a T-12 here last year is a good combo.
- Billy Horschel: This could be a really good contrarian play. He's playing well this season, and it's free money.
My pick this week will be Tommy Fleetwood. I'm not too keen on him right now leading into majors, so I think this is a good spot for him.
2019 Puerto Rico Open One and Done picks
- Scott Brown: Helluva job, Brownie. Among people with a good record here. Not sure what to make of that.
- Rafael Campos: Coming off a win on the Web.com Tour, the Puerto Rico native has been in the top 15 here the last two years.
- Wyndham Clark: Clark is coming off a few decent finishes in the West Coast Swing.
- Graeme McDowell: He's got a very limited PGA Tour schedule right now, but he's been T-11 and T-18 in his last two starts.
My pick this week will be Rafael Campos. He's playing well overall, and this would be such a good story.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-22)
- Genesis Open: Bubba Watson (T-15)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood
- Puerto Rico Open: Rafael Campos