With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Sony Open in Hawaii and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The PGA Tour completes the Aloha Swing this week with the Sony Open in Honolulu. It’s the first full-field event of the year, and it’s filled with players with great to solid status. Not many Web.com Tour and Web.com Tour Finals graduates get in this field because of its popularity. However, there are a number of horse-for-course picks in this field, regulars who love to start the year here.
Despite that, the recent trend tells us six of the last seven winners in Honolulu played the week prior at the Tournament of Champions on Maui. There are probably two reasons for that: 1. They’re better players; after all, they won to get to Kapalua, and 2. They’ve knocked off the competitive rust before everyone else.
We missed on Aaron Wise last week. He was playing great at the end of 2018, and he didn’t come through for us. However, neither did Brooks Koepka, so stuff happens.
2019 Sony Open in Hawaii One and Done picks
- Justin Thomas: Thomas was frustrated last year he didn’t win this. He thought he had it. He finished great in Maui. But you’re gonna save him for a major.
- Bryson DeChambeau: The awkwardness of the flagstick in and dropping from knee height aside, Bryson played solid golf to start the year.
- Cameron Smith: I thought last year was going to be huge for Cam. It was, but not in a way I anticipated. He’s a better player, now he can win more.
- Brian Harman: Harman didn’t play last week, but his track record in this event is pretty peerless. Started to get back to better at the end of last year.
- Charles Howell III: Ticks the boxes. He loves this event, and he played last week.
My pick this week will be Charles Howell III. I like to use CH3 early, and this is a great spot.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III