With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Travelers Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We were SO close to pulling the lever for Koepka last week. Instead we went with the "safe" pick and chose Dustin Johnson. A medal-stand finish in the biggest purse of the year is a good thing.
Now we move to the Travelers Championship, which boasts one of its best fields ever. It's been a remarkable transformation for the event, which was on the precipice of disappearing 10 years ago. Now it's an anchor of the regular schedule. Jordan Spieth defends, and a loaded field, including the US Open champion, is in Connecticut.
2018 Travelers Championship One and Done picks
- Justin Thomas -- JT had himself a good first few days before slipping away from contention.
- Rory McIlroy -- May be the right time to play a flustered and wounded McIlroy. It's hard to see him pulling off a top-10 tournament this year, but maybe a Travelers.
- Brooks Koepka -- I mean, why not, right?
- Daniel Berger -- Straight Vibin' has an affinity for TPC River Highlands, and he obviously played great at Shinnecock.
- Brian Harman -- Harman likes this course, and he might be back on the uptick after a nice showing at the US Open.
- Marc Leishman -- A past winner here, Leishman was a tad disappointing on Long Island.
My pick this week will be Daniel Berger. He was beaten on a miracle shot last year, and he's gotta be confident after a major run.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker (T-6)
- Ft. Worth Invitational at Colonial: Chris Kirk (T-11)
- the Memorial Tournament: Marc Leishman (T-62)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Joaquin Niemann (MC)
- US Open: Dustin Johnson (3rd)
- Travelers Championship: Daniel Berger