With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 US Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
It’s the second major of the year…for the final time in the foreseeable future. The US Open is back at Shinnecock Hills after 14 years and that debacle from 2004, and the place looks amazing. Having been fortunate enough to have first-hand experience at the course, I think we can actually put a little bit more emphasis on driving than you might expect given all you’ll hear about the added width in the Coore-Crenshaw restoration. But if the winds blows, those fairways won’t feel wide, and the deep rough will pose a real problem. Putting on a wind-swept course isn’t as big of a deal.
Last week was a misstep in going with young Joaquin Niemann. He was gassed. But there was no way I was blowing DJ or Brooks in Memphis.
2018 US Open One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson — No one has ever won the week before the US Open, then won the US Open. That said, DJ could do it.
- Brooks Koepka — I love him at the US Open, and I think he has a very good chance to repeat.
- Justin Rose — Rose should be a guy we love in every US Open until he’s 45. His game just works for this major.
- Justin Thomas — We’re not appreciating just how good JT is. He makes it look routine.
- Tiger Woods — Can those 42-year-old nerves hold up over a weekend? Maybe. If his driver goes wayward, forget it.
My pick this week will be Dustin Johnson. His game is built for this.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker (T-6)
- Ft. Worth Invitational at Colonial: Chris Kirk (T-11)
- the Memorial Tournament: Marc Leishman (T-62)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Joaquin Niemann (MC)
- US Open: Dustin Johnson