With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 FedEx St. Jude Classic this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Time to get sentimental. This is the last FedEx St. Jude Classic before it moves to August (WHY?!) and becomes a World Golf Championships event next season. The pre-Open field is modest, per usual, with Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and Daniel Berger serving as headliners.
2018 FedEx St. Jude Classic One and Done picks
- Phil Mickelson -- Would you believe in him at the US Open? Maybe this is a great week to burn him. Putting very well.
- Dustin Johnson -- Could go for him here, but save him for a major.
- Joaquin Niemann -- The kid has IT. He's earned Special Temporary Membership, and he's pretty much fearless.
- Brooks Koepka -- I love him at the US Open, but he could work here.
- Daniel Berger -- Two-time defending champion is straight vibin' in the land of mediocrity at the moment.
My pick this week will be Joaquin Niemann. After this week, it's pretty much burning the rest of the world top 25 I haven't used yet.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker (T-6)
- Ft. Worth Invitational at Colonial: Chris Kirk (T-11)
- the Memorial Tournament: Marc Leishman (T-62)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Joaquin Niemann