With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We had a solid week of recommendations. Tiger was T-5 and Justin Rose finished in third alone. Kiradech and Kokrak bombed on Day 2 to crush their weeks.
Now we move to a difficult week for predictions. The WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play has a great field and huge purse, but it’s so hard to predict match play. This week’s strategy is about just picking a name and going with it. Success is nice, but you’re pretty much throwing a dart.
2018 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play One and Done picks
- Tyrrell Hatton: I like what Hatton’s done of late, and we’re not using him in a major, so why not here?
- Julian Suri: You could be ultra-contrarian here and pick the last guy in the field. He’s still 72nd in the world.
- Brian Harman: Love Harman in match play because his game can be so frustrating to watch and know you’re losing to him.
- Patrick Reed: Reed isn’t the same in this event as the Ryder Cup, but he’s been on a good run of late.
- Tony Finau: I like where Finau’s game is, and he can blow players out of the water.
My pick this week will be Patrick Reed. I love his game of late, and I find it easy to see him in the final 16.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed