With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 The Honda Classic this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We had a very strong set of recommendations last week for Riviera, with Phil Mickelson and Patrick Cantlay threatening to win on Sunday. Dustin Johnson saved the week on Friday, and then he got into contention on Saturday, only to fade on Sunday. We went with Paul Casey, who made the cut but did nothing spectacular.
Now we move to The Honda Classic at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens to kick off the Flexico (Florida and Mexico) Swing. We have a solid, but not amazing, field that includes defending champion Rickie Fowler.
2018 The Honda Classic One and Done picks
- Rory McIlroy: Worth a consideration this week, yes, but I would stray and save him for a major or Quail Hollow.
- Kiradech Aphibarnrat: The Barnrat has been playing very well on the Euro Tour this year, and you might not use him otherwise.
- Graeme McDowell: G-Mac may be worth a gamble despite a poor Sunday at Riv. The guy loves this event.
- Rickie Fowler: If you're not using him in a major, why not here?
- Brian Harman: He's playing the golf of his life, so you should consider looking at him a lot of weeks.
My pick this week will be Kiradech Aphibarnrat. This is a pure hunch play.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat