Welcome to the reboot of Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You'll have the chance to turn just a few bucks into serious cash.
Now to the picks!
Yes, we realize we've kicked up our fantasy coverage in the final week of the PGA Tour season. However, it's one of the best weeks to play fantasy. With only 30 qualified players and just 29 actually competing at East Lake, the playoff finale gives you the best chance for a good week.
East Lake is a tough nut to crack, however, three players in the field have won the Tour Championship here: Bill Haas (2011), Jim Furyk (2010) and Adam Scott (2006). But current form matters, too, and it's hard to overlook the summer Rory McIlroy had for himself. That all in mind, here are our top 10 picks.
- Rory McIlroy: McIlroy was T-8 in the BMW Championship despite a pair of four-putts on the same hole in consecutive days. Not bad. McIlroy was in the driver's seat in 2012 to win the FedEx Cup but finished T-10 and without an extra $10 million in his bank account.
- Rickie Fowler: The Orange one has been incredible -- without winning -- on every big stage this year. Fowler is a top-10 machine, but it's time for him to take one home. He'll need help to win the FedEx Cup, though.
- Jim Furyk: Furyk has the right combination of form and track record. He won here in 2010 to take the FedEx Cup (and his last PGA Tour win). He also has five top-10 finishes in his last seven starts. Hard to overlook that combo.
- Jordan Spieth: After a natural lull in performance this summer, Spieth seems to have again found his game. He finished T-8 at Cherry Hills and was joint runner-up here a year ago.
- Bill Haas: The 2011 FedEx Cup winner did the double with an epic playoff win. He's been a top-15 machine for over a month now.
- Bubba Watson: Watson's attitude has been lousy all summer and it seems to have impacted his play. However, the Masters champion looked to be having fun in the mountain air at Cherry Hills. His length will be a big advantage at East Lake, but his putting is a must.
- Billy Horschel: The hot hand deserves a look. Horschel won the BMW Championship after a 72nd-hole flub at the Deutsche Bank Championship. There's no reason to believe that'll stop in Atlanta.
- Sergio Garcia: Yes, Sergio gave away his BMW Championship threat with an eight on a par 5 in the final round. However, Garcia is at personal piece and heading into his favorite event, the Ryder Cup. He's inspired.
- Webb Simpson: He's been given Tom Watson's vote of confidence as a Ryder Cup pick. He has a great record at East Lake, with a pair of top-five finishes. Worth a look.
- Adam Scott: This is the last hoorah for Adam Scott and Steve Williams as a full-time team. Williams will become a part-time caddie at year's end. Why not win one for the Kiwi to back up his '06 title?
My DraftKings salary cap team, however, has to make some compromises, so I'm tipping:
- Rory McIlroy ($10,600)
- Rickie Fowler ($9,500)
- Bill Haas ($8,600)
- Webb Simpson ($8,100)
- Geoff Ogilvy ($6,700)
- Russell Henley ($6,100)