Welcome into this week's fantasy golf picks for the 2014 Northern Trust Open, presented by DraftDay.
Since every fantasy league is a little different, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to rank players. In some leagues, you have to save players for bigger tournaments. In others, it doesn’t matter. Some leagues have you pick four players, or six or one. Instead, we’ll offer 10 picks in two buckets: horses for courses and hot hands.
If you like winning, you should be checking in with us every week. We nailed it on Jimmy Walker winning the tournament, and we even had Dustin Johnson and Jordan Spieth as recommendations.[divider_with_title]Background[/divider_with_title]
The PGA Tour comes as close as it will all year to Hollywood with the annual trip to Riviera C.C. this week for the Northern Trust Open. Riviera is an old gem and one of the few former major championship sites which hosts a standing PGA Tour event. It's home to the best short hole in golf, the drivable par-4 10th, and one of the more exacting finishing holes in golf.
The winner won't have to take it deep to win this week. Consider 10 under the target and expect to be in it, if not holding the trophy on Sunday.
- Jimmy Walker: We've obviously been mentioning Mr. Walker every week of late, but the three-time winner this season absolutely loves poa annua and playing in California.
- Dustin Johnson: Were it not for Jimmy Walker's outrageous start to '13-14, Dustin Johnson would be the talk of the PGA Tour. He's a top-10 machine at the moment. He seems more focused on golf.
- Hunter Mahan: In his last two starts, Mahan has been in the top six, including Phoenix and Pebble Beach.
- Jordan Spieth: At some point, Spieth will figure out what is ailing him on the weekends (particularly Saturdays) when he's in contention to win. Could be this week.
- Graham DeLaet: The Canadian has been a runner up in his last two starts, so it's safe to say he's playing the best golf of his career.
- Fred Couples: Couples should be commended for making his 32nd consecutive start in this event this week. If you want to drop a few pence on a flier, Couples is your man.
- Keegan Bradley: Bradley hasn't been playing his best golf of late, but he lost in the 2012 playoff here to Bill Haas and was T-16 last year.
- Justin Rose: Feeling refreshed after a long break, Rose is kicking off the year at Riviera, where he has finished inside the top 15 in his last two NTO starts.
- Webb Simpson: The U.S. Open winner at The Olympic Club upstate likes a similarly styled Riviera.
- Bill Haas: Haas loves Riv and has showed it, winning in a playoff in 2012 and defending the title with a T-3 performance last year.
Golf News Net has teamed up with DraftDay.com to share the most exciting way to play fantasy golf.
DraftDay offers short-term fantasy games, where you draft a fantasy team of golfers for only one event and win cash prizes. To date, DraftDay has awarded over $15 million in prizes.
GNN readers who are new to DraftDay should take advantage of this great offer for a 30% deposit bonus:
- Signup for DraftDay using this link here.
- You will be directed to the deposit funds page. Add funds to your account and use promocode “GolfNews“
- You will receive a 30% bonus on your first deposit.