Coming down the stretch of “Glory’s Last Shot,” Bo Van Pelt gave away three strokes to cost himself a chance at overtaking Phil Mickelson for the last of eight Ryder Cup qualifying spots.
In the end, the top eight players on the Ryder Cup points list entering the PGA Championship left Kiawah Island with a spot on the Medinah-bound team.
Here are the final top eight, with their points earned and position heading into the season’s final major in parentheses:
1. Tiger Woods (6,014.18; 1)
2. Bubba Watson (5,815.05; 3)
3. Jason Dufner (5,697.30; 2)
4. Keegan Bradley (5,551.21; 4)
5. Webb Simpson (4,635.50; 5)
6. Zach Johnson (4,491.54; 6)
7. Matt Kuchar (4,448.94; 7)
8. Phil Mickelson (4,233.11; 8)
Love will make four picks to round out the American dozen on Sept. 4, in three weeks’ time. The captain has tipped Steve Stricker as a pick, as well as Jim Furyk. Rickie Fowler’s name has been dropped by Love several times in the past. That leaves a fourth name to be decided after the Deutsche Bank Championship.