The 2021 British Open Championship field of 156 players is made up of players who got in through a variety of criteria, including the Open Qualifying Series, Final Open Qualifying and other exemptions. As part of the qualifying process, the R&A also identifies British Open Championship alternates.
The R&A will pull from the British Open Championship alternate list to fill the field of 156 players, with the governing body filling in the field of 156 players using the highest-ranked non-exempt players from the Official World Golf Ranking after Week 25 on June 25. A total of 14 players were pulled from the OWGR to fill out the field. However, several chose not to compete, including Scott Piercy and Ryan Moore.
Since then, the R&A has replaced withdrawn players based on the current Official World Golf Ranking.
There are players that could potentially withdraw the week of the British Open Championship with injury or other problems. So, here's the full list of 2021 British Open Championship alternates from the Official World Golf Ranking.
2021 British Open Championship alternates
Subject to change
- Andy Sullivan -- IN, replacing Matthew Wolff
- Antoine Rozner -- IN, replacing Kyoung-hoon Lee
- Troy Merritt -- IN, replacing Danny Lee
- Harold Varner III -- IN, replacing Hideki Matsuyama
- Brendan Steele -- IN, replacing Bubba Watson
- John Catlin -- IN, replacing David Duval
- Adam Long -- IN, replacing Ryan Moore
- Sam Horsfield -- IN, replacing Zach Johnson
- Dylan Frittelli -- IN, replacing Louis de Jager
- Wade Ormsby
- Matthieu Pavon
- Ross Fisher