With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Zurich Classic of New Orleans and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
That was a fun little finish on Sunday at Harbour Town! We almost had our man in Ian Poulter, but he played down a level on Sunday as playing partner Dustin Johnson struggled to a 77. Poulter still finished T-10, which is a solid effort.
This week, we have a unique challenge for One and Done. We’re at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans, the only official team event on the PGA Tour. Not every One and Done game is in action this week, but if you are in a league with one, you typically only have to pick one player. That means you get the benefit of two players for one, and that’s why your strategy in this event should be to pick the weaker partner of the team you want. For example, you can get Brooks Koepka by picking his partner and brother, Chase.
2019 Zurich Classic of New Orleans One and Done picks
- Patrick Reed (Patrick Cantlay) — With Reed, you’ll get Cantlay, who has been on a bit of a heater of late himself.
- Scott Brown (Kevin Kisner) — This duo has finished in the top 15 both years, losing a playoff to win in Year 1.
- Chase Koepka (Brooks Koepka) — This seems pretty obvious.
- Ryan Palmer (Jon Rahm) — Palmer has played with Spieth in this event, too, so he’s pairing up typically in this event. Rahm has been rock solid all year, and Palmer has showed flashes.
My pick this week will be Patrick Reed. We’re getting Cantlay and the 2018 Masters champion in one team, and they did well last year.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-22)
- Genesis Open: Bubba Watson (T-15)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-19)
- Puerto Rico Open: Rafael Campos (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Adam Scott (MC)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Marc Leishman (T-23)
- The Players Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-56)
- Valspar Championship: Gary Woodland (MC)
- Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship: Rory Sabbatini (T-39)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Matt Fitzpatrick (T-60)
- Valero Texas Open: Billy Horschel (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Rory McIlroy (T-21)
- RBC Heritage: Ian Poulter (T-10)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Patrick Reed