The 2018 Masters Thursday pin sheet has been released for the opening round during which will be played under perfect weather conditions, including sunshine, 75-degree temperatures and hardly any wind. That weather will impact how Augusta National plays and how the 87-player field will approach the course. So, too, will the hole locations (pin placements) as selected by the Masters Tournament Committee.
2017 Masters Thursday first round pin placements
Some things to note:
- The pin on the par-4 first is arguably the toughest on that green because of the sloping off behind it.
- The hole location on the par-5 2nd is arguably the most difficult on the hole, requiring a player to lay up to the right to have a chance to reach it
- The hole location on the 7th is potentially get-able but the fear of spinning the ball back of the green will be a factor
- On the 12th hole, the hole location is arguably in the most difficult position, located where the green is thinnest and just over the bunker
- At the par-3 16th, the hole location is just shy of the Sunday location, so players will have to judge the slope differently
Thursday scoring is expected to be fairly good, given the ideal weather conditions and expected lack of rain and wind in the forecast.