With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Genesis Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
I'm going to just say this, but the Pebble Beach Pro-Am was kind of boring. Not much drama on Sunday as no one mounted a charge to take down The Wizard, Ted Potter, Jr., who notched his second-career PGA Tour win. Great runners-up included Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson and Jason Day. Jon Rahm struggled again on a Sunday. Beau Hossler hasn't gotten Sunday down yet. Steve Stricker backed up. Jimmy Walker had his best finish in 18 months. Lots to consider amid a stacked field in L.A. for the Genesis Open at Rivera Country Club this week.
2018 Genesis Open One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: Loves playing here, yes, but please save him for a major.
- Paul Casey: Casey is racking up top-20 finishes like a madman, and he has nearly won here. Respect the game.
- Chez Reavie: Maybe we're missing the boat on using Chez, but I don't think so. Still performing so well.
- Phil Mickelson: Mickelson just posted consecutive top-five finishes on the PGA Tour for the first time since 2013. Hmm.
- Patrick Cantlay: This seems like a place Cantlay should love, especially given his putting issues and these greens confounding a lot of players.
My pick this week will be Paul Casey. I think a lot of folks won't be on him.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey