With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Thoughts and prayers to everyone who took Hideki Matsuyama last week in OAD leagues around the world. You likely got crushed when he withdrew, as your league likely didn't have a backup pick system. This incident exposes that need, and we're going to talk about that this week. However, we have to move on to the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, which is an event that is starting to get some of its sexy back. Great field this year, including defending champion Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson and more. This is a tough one to predict because of the three-course format, having amateurs involved and the unpredictable weather at times on the Monterey Peninsula. So, let's be conservative.
2018 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am One and Done picks
- Jon Rahm: If you're not using him in a major, you're crazy. But this is a good spot otherwise.
- Jason Day: Day's a really interesting case. He's obviously back, but his back can become an issue at any time. So do you press on him now while you know he's OK?
- Brandt Snedeker: Snedeker has a great history in this event, which was the impetus for one of my great standing golf bets. He's not quite all there yet, but heading in the right direction.
- Chesson Hadley: Back-to-back T-10 finishes here in 2014 and '15 were bright spots on his early PGA Tour career. Back to good golf.
- Pat Perez: Three top-15s here in the last five years. He clearly likes the spot and the format.
My pick this week will be Brandt Snedeker. I'm taking a little leap of faith, but I think three rounds helps him here.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker