With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2017 WGC-HSBC Champions and Sanderson Farms Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Two events on the PGA Tour docket this week: the WGC-HSBC Champions in China and the Sanderson Farms Championship in Mississippi. The HSBC Champions is the final WGC of the year, and it has no cut. The Sanderson Farms has been breeding ground for some significant PGA Tour winners in the past, but it can be hard to predict champions there.
2017 WGC-HSBC Champions One and Done picks
- Adam Scott: Form not great, yeah, but he always seems to play well in this event. You're going to make money regardless, so why not.
- Daniel Berger: Same situation, wasn't good in Korea, but that was in irregular windy conditions on an unknown course. Maybe worth a pass.
- Henrik Stenson: Could be a good choice here, with a past victory. You probably aren't considering a guy in his 40s for major wins, so a good slot.
- Marc Leishman: Leishman nearly had himself a second win in about a month at the CJ Cup. Playing his best golf in his career.
My pick this week will be Henrik Stenson. It's a good mix of tournament fit, OK form and being a high-caliber player I'm unlikely to consider for majors.
2017 Sanderson Farms Championship One and Done picks
- William McGirt: McGirt has been off 45 days or so, and he has previously wanted to play in this event instead of the HSBC.
- Chesson Hadley: Chessie was T-3 at the Safeway, and might be worth riding that train all the way to the station, when it could crash.
- Keith Mitchell: I'm high on Keith Mitchell. Booms the ball, and he's got the look of a winner.
- Chris Kirk: He's really the one true horse-for-course pick, but he's a tough nut to crack as he's in between equipment deals.
My pick this week will be Chesson Hadley. Ride the wave now, and then hope you're not wasting a pick that could have a bigger payoff later.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley