With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 British Open Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The third major of the year is here! Royal Birkdale returns as host of the British Open Championship for the first time since 2008. And with no clear No. 1 player in the world right now, the field seems wide open -- particularly at the one major that seems, of late, to favor older players.
2017 British Open Championship One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: If you haven't used him yet, I'm not sure why, unless you're gaming for the FedEx Cup playoffs in the PGA Tour game. He's still the world No. 1, even if the U.S. Open was a dud. He's a top-15 machine in The Open.
- Jon Rahm: This is probably a recency bias, but Rahm was incredible in winning the Irish Open, and he appeared the week prior to get his act together in France. Temper and expectations are an issue.
- Ian Poulter: This is my crazy-like-a-fox tip. Poulter is playing in England, and he's been quietly improving.
- Tommy Fleetwood: You're not going to use Fleetwood anywhere but majors. He has been incredible all year, but he has been spectacular since June.
- Rickie Fowler: If you haven't jumped in on Fowler yet, the guy is a good wind player and he has a knack for staying in tournaments.
My pick this week will be Tommy Fleetwood. He's economical, putting great and he's got the home crowd pulling for him.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell (T-35)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Brooks Koepka (T-50)
- Dean & DeLuca Invitational at Colonial: Bud Cauley (T-41)
- the Memorial Tournament: Tony Finau (T-40)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Phil Mickelson (9th)
- U.S. Open: Dustin Johnson (MC)
- Travelers Championship: Marc Leishman (T-17)
- Quicken Loans National: Kyle Stanley (WIN)
- The Greenbrier Classic: Webb Simpson (T-14)
- John Deere Classic: Brian Harman
- British Open Championship: Tommy Fleetwood
- Barbasol Championship: CLICK HERE