With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 The Players Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The Players is here! It's one of the best non-major-but-sorta-major weeks of the year. TPC Sawgrass is a great test that truly favors no player, meaning the best player is the one that wins. This is a tricky week for one-and-done. Course history doesn't mean a whole lot...except BAD course history.
2017 The Players Championship One and Done picks
- Rory McIlroy: Newly married, but he's switching equipment to TaylorMade starting this week. Is that a big deal? Great record without a win at Sawgrass.
- Jimmy Walker: Walker's an interesting pick. Good form at Sawgrass, and he's got back-to-back top-20 finishes overall. Battling Lyme disease, but he's battling well through it.
- Francesco Molinari: If you didn't use Molinari last week, like I did, then he's a good pick again this week. Money-making machine and top seven here two of the last three years.
- Matt Kuchar: Kooch is really interesting. Past winner, third last year. Been off since T-40 in the Valero Texas Open.
- Sergio Garcia: The Masters champ is back and basking. He's a past winner here and always seems to hang around here.
- Kevin Chappell: A runner-up here last year, Chappell is in great form with a win at the Valero Texas Open.
My pick this week will be Kevin Chappell. We need to save Rory for Quail Hollow and the PGA.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell