With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Puerto Rico Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We have an opposite-field event this week alongside the WGC-Match Play (see our one-and-done pick suggestions here), with the Puerto Rico Open played at Coco Beach. Last year's winner, Tony Finau, isn't in the field as he will try to get in the Match Play as an alternate. Nonetheless, some fascinating options.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW
2017 Puerto Rico Open One and Done picks
- Wesley Bryan: Crashed on Sunday with a bad round at Bay Hill, but he's playing good golf overall and is taking on a weak field.
- Boo Weekley: If you're thinking about a horse-for-course pick, Weekley is one of your good bets. However, his PGA Tour record this season is spotty at best.
- Scott Brown: Brown is similar to Weekley, in that his Puerto Rico record is good. Brown has missed two consecutive cuts after making eight in a row, including a T-2 at Riviera.
- Graham DeLaet: The Canadian is gaining strokes putting and had his first missed cut last week after four straight top-22 finishes.
- Peter Uihlein: Uihlein typically plays on the European Tour, and he's playing really well after coming back from an injury and surgery last year. Almost won here previously.
My pick this week will be Peter Uihlein, which is based on prior success in this event and a willingness to globetrot to chase down competition, meaning he's seen a lot of different conditions.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: CLICK HERE