The PGA Tour plays on anywhere from 48-50 courses most years, so the players see a variety of golf courses, architects, holes, grasses and styles. The lengths of the 900 holes they see annually varies wildly, from 667 for the longest hole on the PGA Tour to the shortest, a 106-yard par 3.
We wanted to share with you the 10 longest holes on the PGA Tour and the 10 shortest holes on the PGA Tour in the 2015-16 season. Obviously the longest holes on the PGA Tour are par 5s, with the shortest holes being par 3s. However, as we show you their rank among the 900 holes played on the PGA Tour last year, you quickly realize that being long doesn't make a hole difficult and being short surely doesn't make it easy.
The longest holes on the PGA Tour
- WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, Firestone CC (South), No. 16, par 5, 667 yards, 0.18 over par (131)
- Tournament of Champions, Plantation Course at Kapalua, No. 18, par 5, 663 yards, 0.391 under par (841)
- PGA Championship, Baltusrol GC, No. 17, par 5, 649 yards, 0.107 under par (670)
- Quicken Loans National, Congressional CC (Blue), No. 9, par 5, 636 yards, 0.071 under par (618)
- Dean & Deluca Invitational, Colonial CC, No. 11, par 5, 635 yards, 0.131 under par (693)
- CIMB Classic, Kuala Lumpur G&CC, No. 18, par 5, 634 yards, 0.194 under par (738)
- U.S. Open, Oakmont CC, No. 12, par 5, 632 yards, 0.144 over par (194)
- Puerto Rico Open, Coco Beach Golf & CC, No. 18, par 5, 630 yards, 0.158 under par (711)
- BMW Championship, Crooked Stick GC, No. 5, par 5, 621 yards, 0.291 under par (800)
- WGC-Cadillac Championship, Trump National Doral, No. 10, par 5, 614 yards, 0.05 over par (378)
The longest hole on the PGA Tour is, as fans would know, the 16th hole at Firestone Country Club's South Course, host to the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. The Akron, Ohio course is a monster, and the 16th hole, at 667 yards, is the longest of a brutal course. It is a true three-shot hole for almost every player, but it does give up 400-yard drives. The pond guarding the green, in combination with a back-right hole location, make the pitch difficult.
The shortest holes on the PGA Tour
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Pebble Beach GL, No. 7, par 3, 106 yards, 0.102 under par (659)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba, El Camaleon GC, No. 4, par 3, 116 yards, 0.267 under par (787)
- Open Championship, Royal Troon GC, No. 8, par 3, 123 yards, 0.087 over par (296)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Spyglass Hill GC, No. 15, par 3, 130 yards, 0.199 under par (740)
- The Players Championship, TPC Sawgrass, No. 17, par 3, 137 yards, 0.018 over par (456)
- CIMB Classic, Kuala Lumpur G&CC, No. 4, par 3, 140 yards, 0.216 under par (747)
- RBC Canadian Open, Glen Abbey GC, No. 15, par 3, 141 yards, 0.105 under par (258)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba, El Camaleon GC, No. 8, par 3, 151 yards, 0.114 under par (675)
- Sanderson Farms Championship, CC of Jackson, No. 13, par 3, 151 yards, 0.118 under par (683)
- WGC-Cadillac Championship, Trump National Doral, No. 15, par 3, 153 yards, 0.149 under par (707)
The shortest hole on the PGA Tour, and perhaps the shortest hole in championship golf, is the par-3 seventh hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links, host of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, as well major championships, including the 2019 U.S. Open. The hole, which plays downhill to a small target on the edge of the Monterey Peninsula, often plays into the wind. It might look and be short, but the winds can gust so much that sometimes a player needs a long iron just to get to the green. It's an incredible hole.