Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? YOU COULD WIN $100,000 THIS WEEK! Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
We did really well last week at Harbour Town, and we had you the whole way with Luke Donald. However, we didn't have Grace winning after a disappointing Masters missed cut. In other words, golf happened.
This week, the PGA Tour moves to TPC San Antonio for the Valero Texas Open. The Greg Norman design will welcome defending champion Jimmy Walker and a modest field, including Phil Mickelson and Patrick Reed.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW
For GNN Plus subscribers, you can access our NEW searchable database of PGA Tour results from 2011-present, our top-15 finish chart and season-long trends on DraftKings valuations. They'll be available at your disposal as part of a growing set of tools to help in your research. Going forward, GNN Plus subscribers will also get access to the last five years of leaderboards for an event, namely the top 15 and ties from 2011-2015, the data that we use to define our horses for courses each week.
Now, on to the picks!
1. Charley Hoffman -- Coming off a T-14 at Harbour Town, Hoffman has been in the top 15 here in each of the last five years. No reason to bet against that.
2. Matt Kuchar -- Kuchar also has a very good record at TPC San Antonio, finishing in the top 15 in three of the last four years. A T-9 at Harbour Town is encouraging, of course.
3. Branden Grace -- The Harbour Town winner is going to keep on going this week. He's made both cuts here in the past, and he handled nasty conditions well on his way to both of his worldwide wins in 2016.
4. Daniel Summerhays -- Not going to see this much this year, but Summerhays is a grinder that is perfect for this course. He's been inside the top seven here in each of the last three years.
5. Billy Horschel -- Horschel seems to play his best when the weather gets nasty. He's missed one cut this season and has four top-20 finishes. He has two third-place finishes here in the last three years.
6. Jimmy Walker -- The defending champion is playing a home game this week, which is great. He obviously loves the course and knows how to handle the weather. His length should prove a huge asset yet again. He pummeled this course last year with 22 birdies.
7. Patrick Reed -- Reed has been in the top 10 in three of his last four starts. He's playing excellent golf this year, and there's no reason to believe that won't continue.
8. Jason Kokrak -- Kokrak is on a little bit of a run here, including a T-6 last week at Harbour Town. Two top-15s here in the last three years. The big man can play in the wind.
9. Brendan Steele -- This is a pure horse-for-course pick. Steele won here in his rookie year in 2011 and has a couple of top-eights since. Downside? Missed last two PGA Tour cuts, including badly at Harbour Town.
10. Kevin Chappell -- Chappell is streaky, and, even then, he's still hard to predict. He has two runner-ups this season and top-10s in two of his last three starts. He also threw in a missed cut just to keep us on our toes. Runner-up here in 2011. T-15 in 2013.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Charley Hoffman - $9,600
2. Billy Horschel - $9,400
3. Daniel Summerhays - $8,300
4. Freddie Jacobson - $8,100
5. Aaron Baddeley - $7,400
6. Colt Knost - $7,200
If you want to win at DraftKings daily fantasy golf, you have to figure out a way to find six golfers that play all 72 holes and earn roughly 85 points each.
You likely have to identify a couple of players in the top five, at least the top seven, and you'd ideally not have a player finish outside the top 20.
Doing that takes research, looking at a variety of factors, including:
- Finish trends, both in recent weeks on the PGA Tour and at that week's event,
- Salary trends, deciphering which players are showing value based on their performance, and
- Statistical trends, identifying the common threads among winners in that week's event
That's what Golf News Net will deliver each week to GNN Plus members in this space, offering a complete research package which dives into these three areas to find the players that should be in your lineup for this week.
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools, sign up for GNN Plus to gain access to the analysis!
BECOME A GNN PLUS MEMBER NOW!
Cancel anytime for a pro-rated refund
$30 for 12 months' access
$3 for 1 month's access, auto-renews