Tiger Woods is on bed rest after undergoing a second back procedure in less than two months.
On Wednesday in Utah, Woods had an undisclosed follow-up procedure to relieve pain caused by a Sept. 16 microdiscectomy, the second such surgery in two years. The follow-up was performed by Dr. Charles Rich, who has been the neurosurgeon for both of Woods' microdiscectomies, including the first in March 2014.
"It's one of those things that had to be done," Woods said Friday, according to his website. "I have an outstanding team of doctors, and I'll be back as soon as I can."
Woods will now miss the final design visit to Bluejack National, the Houston-area club which is his first U.S. golf course design, on Nov. 5. He'll also skip a planned news conference to discuss the work at the property.
After his first microdiscectomy procedure in 2014, Woods returned three months later to compete in the Quicken Loans National, which benefits his foundation. He admitted that week his return was premature, placating a new title sponsor and biennial host club Congressional Country Club, which had recently voted to continue hosting the event every other year.
It's unclear how much this follow-up procedure might delay Woods' timetable for returning to competitive action. In a news conference last week in Mexico ahead of the America's Golf Cup, Woods said the recovery and rehab would be "long and tedious" but did not indicate a timeframe for playing golf again.
JOIN GNN PLUS AS AN ANNUAL MEMBER & YOU'LL GET:
- A FREE USGA handicap ($30 value, annual members only)
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- Special discounts and member benefits
- An ad-free experience
- Equipment testing data
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research