With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Travelers Championship and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We had some great suggestions for the US Open, but ultimately the winner was a man not on our radar that week. Gary Woodland putted out of his mind, never wavered and became a first-time major winner at the age of 35. Meanwhile, Brooks Koepka's run as US Open champion ends having lost to just one player in the last three years.
This week, we have the Traveler Championship. It's a solid field despite a cross-country trek back to Connecticut for the old Hartford Open. There are plenty of players to like this week.
2019 Travelers Championship One and Done picks
- Bubba Watson: If you're thinking of a horse-for-course pick, here's your man. Three-time winner at TPC River Highlands, and two of those wins have kinda come out of nowhere.
- Patrick Cantlay: Cantlay shot 60 here as an amateur out of UCLA, and he seemed destined to be No. 1 in the world. That dream was deferred, but he's playing great golf right now.
- Paul Casey: Loves this venue, but he's perhaps a little too inconsistent to consider at the moment.
- Viktor Hovland: Turning pro this week, Hovland should be great out of the gate, akin to a number of players who have gone from college to contending on the PGA Tour.
My pick this week will be Patrick Cantlay. He battled through less-than-ideal play to get in the top 20 at Pebble, and his style suits this golf course.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-22)
- Genesis Open: Bubba Watson (T-15)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-19)
- Puerto Rico Open: Rafael Campos (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Adam Scott (MC)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Marc Leishman (T-23)
- The Players Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-56)
- Valspar Championship: Gary Woodland (MC)
- Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship: Rory Sabbatini (T-39)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Matt Fitzpatrick (T-60)
- Valero Texas Open: Billy Horschel (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Rory McIlroy (T-21)
- RBC Heritage: Ian Poulter (T-10)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Patrick Reed (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Phil Mickelson (MC)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Scottie Scheffler (T-35)
- PGA Championship: Brooks Koepka (WIN)
- Charles Schwab Challenge: Justin Rose (T-58)
- the Memorial Tournament: Matt Kuchar (MC)
- RBC Canadian Open: Jim Furyk (T-27)
- US Open: Tiger Woods (T-20)
- Travelers Championship: Patrick Cantlay