Sergio Garcia apologized for his actions in Saudi Arabia for a third time on Valentine's Day eve, doing so in an interview with Golf Channel's Todd Lewis.
Garcia, who is making his 2019 PGA Tour debut this week at the Genesis Open near Los Angeles, again said he didn't believe the behavior was reflective of who he was and that he was deeply sorry for intentionally damaging five greens during Saturday's third round at Royal Greens Golf and Country Club and thrashing a bunker in a tantrum spurred by a poor rake job in Friday's second round.
The Spaniard said he was distressed by something he had learned before the event.
“I received some very emotional, personal news earlier that week that didn’t help. It was in the back of my mind. As I became frustrated on the course everything erupted,” Garcia told Golf Channel.
Garcia did not disclose what that news was, and he's not under any obligation to do so. However, the 39-year-old did admit he was also bothered by the grainy, slow putting surfaces at the golf course essentially custom-built to host this inaugural European Tour event.
“It was a mix of some emotional and personal things going on and a little frustration with the greens,” said Garcia.
Garcia played alongside eventual winner Dustin Johnson in the first two rounds of the event. While Johnson said nothing of Garcia's conduct, the European Tour chose not to further sanction Garcia with a suspension or fine. Reigning US Open and PGA champion Brooks Koepka said in a radio interview he believed Garcia needed to grow up.