With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Wow, what a Sunday at Phoenix! Rickie Fowler picked up his fifth PGA Tour win in rather dramatic circumstances, with a double and a triple on the card. However, he got the job done, held off Branden Grace and Justin Thomas, and now we’re on to Pebble Beach.
The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is an absolute crapshoot. It’s three rounds at three different courses with a partner, a long round and variable weather. Trying to pick guys here is not easy, so it’s best to hedge and look toward a nice player that isn’t that nice.
2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am One and Done picks
- Jason Day — One of a few players who consistently works his way through this whole thing very well. Almost a permanent fixture in the top 15. He must not mind the pro-am piece.
- Phil Mickelson — After he blew a good first round to miss the cut, Phil’s in Pebble, a place where he can “on” and seems to really like that.
- Brandt Snedeker — Perhaps worth a look this week, though his last two starts haven’t been big money-makers. Nonetheless, his record in this event suggests he’s comfortable with the setting.
- Jimmy Walker — Same boat as Snedeker.
- Tommy Fleetwood — He didn’t play in Saudi Arabia, so he had time to travel, and he should handle this event well.
- Rafa Cabrera Bello — Could be a sneaky good pick this week. Missed the cut in Dubai, but his prior two starts were in the top 11.
- Jordan Spieth — If you’re going to wager on Spieth this week, at least you know he likes this tournament and places well here.
My pick this week will be Rafa Cabrera Bello. I don’t want to use a big name I could like in a major or elsewhere with a bigger purse. The world No. 32 should do.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-15)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rafa Cabrera Bello