With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Desert Classic and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The PGA Tour returns to the US mainland this week with the former Bob Hope Classic, sponsorless this year as the Desert Classic. TPC West returns as host, with the Stadium Course not scaring players like it did back in the 1980s. This is a tournament to go low in every round, particularly at La Quinta Country Club.
Jon Rahm defends, while there are several other stars in play, including Justin Rose and Phil Mickelson.
2019 Desert Classic One and Done picks
- Jon Rahm: Rahm won here last year, and he's been playing well the last few months. Worth gambling on a repeat?
- Hudson Swafford: Swafford won here a couple of years ago, and he's coming off a very good performance at the Sony Open.
- Bud Cauley: Cauley's been in the top 15 here the last three years, and this would be a great place to advance his comeback from last year's major car accident.
- Adam Hadwin: Hadwin's been in the top six here the last three years. It's reasonable to assume he'll play well in this rotation again.
My pick this week will be Adam Hadwin. He's a safe lower-tier pick who is a quality player and has been on the come since a dip through much of 2018 (despite a drop in the Official World Golf Ranking.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin