With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The PGA Tour is back! After a few short weeks off, 34 of 37 eligible winners are in Hawaii at Kapalua's Plantation Course for the Sentry Tournament of Champions. Happy 2019! It's a really strong field this week, led by favorite Dustin Johnson, as well the three major winners from last year: Brooks Koepka, Patrick Reed and Francesco Molinari. Rory McIlroy debuts here, too.
It's an embarrassment of riches this week, and we probably shouldn't pick any of them for our one-and-done leagues. It's a no-cut event, meaning we're getting four rounds barring a WD. It also means you can get a great player without using one of the top 25 in the world.
2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: If you're going to burn someone this week that could win a major in 2019, Dustin Johnson is probably your guy. Loves this event and course. He'll do well.
- Matt Kuchar: Kuchar has played well here in previous starts, and his laid-back demeanor fits the tournament well.
- Aaron Wise: Wise has transformed his body in the last few months, and he's absolutely reaped benefits in terms of performance.
- Billy Horschel: Horschel is certainly streaky, and the shine may have worn off, but he's done well when he's played here in the past.
My pick this week will be Aaron Wise. I wasn't very high on him last year, and it was good to see him win. He's clearly put in the work to get better and stronger, and that should pay for him.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise