With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Valspar Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We did a pretty OK job with picks last week, hedging in this event because we’re getting so close to the majors that we’re going to find a lot of big money events in succession. However, we did miss Phil Mickelson, and we probably should have ridden on his hot streak given his love for elevation and kikuyugrass. However, Tommy Fleetwood did well in a T-14 finish.
Now we move back to Florida for the Valspar Championship at Innisbrook. The Copperhead Course often produces strong ballstrikers as champion, and the field this year is remarkable.
2018 Valspar Championship One and Done picks
- Tiger Woods: Are you willing to gamble on Tiger Woods at this stage of his comeback? I’m not, especially on a course he hasn’t played in 22 years, but he’s an option.
- Sergio Garcia: Really liked Sergio’s game at the WGC last week. He’s got a good record here, and ballstrikers do their best work here.
- Jason Kokrak: If you want to be very conservative on this one, Kokrak is a good pick to make a cut. He’s had good finishes here, too.
- Henrik Stenson: Stenson is well-rested and has thrived in this event.
- Adam Hadwin: The defending champ is playing great in the last month or so, and perhaps he has found his game again off the tee.
My pick this week will be Sergio Garcia. I love his game, but I don’t think I’m going to use him many other places comfortably.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia