With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2019 Military Tribute at The Greenbrier, continue at the 2020 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am this week and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2020, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
This week, the PGA Tour arrives in California for the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. It’s a different kind of party than Phoenix, but it features celebrities and CEOs, six-hour rounds and, yes, some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet. This is a horse-for-course tournament in many ways, but there aren’t that many true horses — and they’re kind of suspect.
2020 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am One and Done picks
Dustin Johnson: DJ is a two-time winner at Pebble, has a comfortable partner and is coming off a runner-up finish in his Saudi Arabia title defense. Worth a look if you don’t like him in majors or a specific tournament.
Jason Day: Look, Day isn’t his best self, and we know that. However, his record in this event — which is a slog — is remarkable and relevant.
JB Holmes: Not saying you should pick this guy, but he’s been playing well the last two weeks. Turtles like turtle sanctuaries.
Russell Knox: Knox seems to be on the come. He’s a top-40 caliber player when he’s at his best, and he’s been working on getting longer.
My pick this week will be Jason Day. He’s showed some encouraging signs, and this whole field is suspect.
2019-2020 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier: Viktor Hovland (T-10)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Denny McCarthy (T-18)
- Safeway Open: Kevin Na (MC)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Webb Simpson (T-7)
- Houston Open: Scottie Scheffler (T-28)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Danny Willett (T-46)
- Zozo Championship: Adam Scott (T-33)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Patrick Reed (T-8)
- Bermuda Championship: Scott Harrington (T-53)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Charles Howell III (T-20)
- The RSM Classic: Kevin Kisner (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Jon Rahm (10th)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Matt Kuchar (MC)
- The American Express: Vaughn Taylor (T-43)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Tony Finau (T-6)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-16)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Jason Day