On some days on the PGA Tour, a player catches fire and can’t seem to miss a putt. On the rare day, a PGA Tour player is able to make a lot of feet of putts. During those rounds, a player gains a lot of strokes putting, and they usually rocket up the leaderboard in the process.
Since the dawn of ShotLink in 2003, the PGA Tour has kept track of total feet of putts made by each player in almost every PGA Tour round. (They didn’t keep track for most major rounds, all overseas PGA Tour events and some other events.) Since 2003, there have been 23 rounds in which a player made at least 200 feet of putts.
However, Brent Geiberger owns the record for the most feet of putts made in a PGA Tour round. In the opening round of the 2006 Booz Allen Classic at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farms, Geiberger made 240 feet, 4 inches of putts. The amazing thing is Geiberger only shot 71 on that day, making six birdies, four bogeys and a double bogey. He was working really hard on the greens that day. Though he made the cut, Geiberger finished T-69 that week.
Curiously, there’s only one player in the top 10 to have made at least 211.5 feet of putts in a final round of a PGA Tour event. Hunter Mahan made 220 feet, 2 inches of putts in the final round of the 2011 Deutsche Bank Championship. That Monday, Mahan shot 5-under 66 at TPC Boston and moved up 22 places on the leaderboard to finish T-8.
Most feet of putts made in a PGA Tour round
Data goes back to 2003
- 240 feet, 4 in. – Brent Geiberger, 2006 Booz Allen Classic, Round 1
- 221 feet, 4 in. – Chris Stroud, 2014 Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- 220 feet, 5 in. – Sergio Garcia, 2015 BMW Championship, Round 2
- 220 feet, 2 in. – Hunter Mahan, 2011 Deutsche Bank Championship, Round 4
- 219 feet, 0 in. – Nathan Green, 2011 Frys.com Open, Round 2
- 218 feet, 6 in. – J.J. Henry, 2006 FBR Open, Round 2
- 216 feet, 11 in. – Robert Garrigus, 2007 Shell Houston Open, Round 2
- 215 feet, 0 in. – Rickie Fowler, 2016 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, Round 2
- 214 feet, 7 in. – Steve Wheatcroft, 2007 Ginn sur Mer Classic, Round 1
- 211 feet, 10 in. – Zack Miller, 2011 Transitions Championship, Round 2