With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 AT&T Byron Nelson this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We had some good names in the mix on the weekend, but no one was catching Webb Simpson. We had considered giving him out as a pick, but we had also used him out the gate to start the year. However, Hadley and Day were very solid picks, with Reed and DeChambeau being OK. Kirk made the cut, if you were in a total bind.
Now we move on to the AT&T Byron Nelson, played for the first time at Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas. This is a Coore and Crenshaw design unlike pretty much anything players will see in the United States this year. It’s not really like Kapalua’s Plantation Course, but that’s the best approximation we have on Tour. This means we’re looking for guys who can avoid three putts and stick it close with their approach shots to avoid tricky putts.
However, this is a very weak field. That’s going to lead to a lot of guessing.
2018 AT&T Byron Nelson One and Done picks
- Jordan Spieth — Great approach game, and his driving won’t be any issue on these wide playing areas. But are you going to use him here?
- Sergio Garcia — Garcia could be a great play. Good friends with Crenshaw, so he has some intel. Ballstriking is his hallmark.
- Marc Leishman — Leishman just struggled on a pair of Pete Dye courses, but he was a solid T-7 at the Tournament of Champions.
- Jimmy Walker — Walker is on his way back. His approach play at Sawgrass was fantastic, and he loves playing in his home state.
My pick this week will be Jimmy Walker. I’m ready to be on board with him again.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker