With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Waste Management Phoenix Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
A little about the Farmers Insurance Open first, and that's to say we should've gone with Jason Day (or you could've picked Charles Howell III, but I had used him). Rickie Fowler missed the cut here, and he's building a track record of struggling at Torrey. Avoid him in future years.
2018 Waste Management Phoenix Open One and Done picks
- Jon Rahm: If you're not using him in a major, you're crazy. But this is a good spot otherwise.
- Brendan Steele: Steele hasn't been huge here the last few years, but he does have some feel-goods about this place and OK current form.
- Daniel Berger: Berger is hard to peg, but he likes easier courses compared to his elite peers.
- Hideki Matsuyama: Two-time defending champion. But will you use him in a major?
- Rickie Fowler: Fowler is more of a lock here than Torrey.
- Webb Simpson: Doesn't seem like a place he would like, but he does, so why not run with him?
My pick this week will be Hideki Matsuyama. I'm reluctant to trust him in a major setting, despite good finishes. Let's use him here.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: