With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Farmers Insurance Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
The Farmers Insurance Open will be the strongest full-field event of the three played on the PGA Tour in 2018, with 12 of the world top 25 and Tiger Woods playing at Torrey Pines, just outside of San Diego. This is a two-course event, played on the North and South courses. Since being renovated by Tom Weiskopf, the North has proven more challenging.
2018 Farmers Insurance Open One and Done picks
- Brandt Snedeker: If Sneds is going to win a major in his career, I'm convinced it's the 2021 US Open at Torrey. Just handles this place so well.
- Charles Howell III: We're not in Florida yet, so CH3 is a great option.
- Jason Day: This would be a bit of a gamble since we haven't seen him since late October, but he loves here and was playing well.
- Pat Perez: Double P loves this spot, and he's been playing the golf of his life the last 16 months.
- Rickie Fowler: Fowler is poised for a great year, and I know I've said that before, but great is relative.
My pick this week will be Rickie Fowler. I don't play on using him in a major, so why not here?
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler