With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Greenbrier Classic this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We got another W this past weekend, with Kyle Stanley getting his second PGA Tour win and first in 5 years at the Quicken Loans National. It was a tumultuous week in daily fantasy, where we had 1, P2 and T-3...but a WD and two missed cuts.
Well, we move on to The Greenbrier Classic this week. It's a week field leading into the British Open in two weeks, but it should be a celebration of triumph over tragedy and rebuilding after last year's floods.
2017 Greenbrier Classic One and Done picks
- Bill Haas: Haas loves playing here, and it fits his eye. He's one of the highest ranked players in the field.
- David Lingmerth: Lingmerth faded hard after a fast start at TPC Potomac, but he continued his good play and does well at The Old White TPC
- Phil Mickelson: If you haven't blown Phil, why not here? Weak field, he's a paid ambassador, and he could get a new caddie boost.
- Webb Simpson: Webb has been playing hot golf of late, and he's got a strong, consistent record in this tournament with three top-10s.
My pick this week will be Webb Simpson. I wouldn't think to use him many other places, so here's as good as anywhere.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell (T-35)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Brooks Koepka (T-50)
- Dean & DeLuca Invitational at Colonial: Bud Cauley (T-41)
- the Memorial Tournament: Tony Finau (T-40)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Phil Mickelson (9th)
- U.S. Open: Dustin Johnson (MC)
- Travelers Championship: Marc Leishman (T-17)
- Quicken Loans National: Kyle Stanley (WIN)
- The Greenbrier Classic: Webb Simpson