It's a distinction a pro golfer doesn't really want to have: being the Best Player Never to Have Won A Major.
Until he won the 2017 Masters, Sergio Garcia was in that discussion of being the best pro golfer without a major title. Given his individual record on the PGA and European Tours, his young promise, his 2008 Players win and his Ryder Cup success, it made sense. Now with a green jacket, Garcia is forever off that list and out of the discussion.
So, who are the five best golfers never to have won a major championship? Here's our list.
The 5 best golfers never to have won a major championship
- Lee Westwood: Do you know how many top-three finishes Lee Westwood has in majors? 18, and nine of those are in the top three. Westwood is up there in years, but he still continues to appear on major leaderboards, including the 2016 U.S. Open and 2017 Masters.
- Matt Kuchar: Kuchar hasn't been as prolific of a top-10 finisher in majors compared to Westwood, but he has enjoyed a remarkable career, including the 2012 Players Championship title. If it's going to happen for Kuchar, it's most likely at the Masters, where he has four top-10 finishes in the last six years.
- Rickie Fowler: Unfortunately for Fowler, with age comes this wretched curse. Fowler won in 2017 at The Honda Classic, drawing attention for a Masters run, which he made before a Sunday stumble. A Players winner in 2015, much is expected to come for the California native. Give him time, though.
- Paul Casey: At one point in his career, Paul Casey was in the top three in the world. Then he got passed over for the 2010 European Ryder Cup team, and things took a turn. However, Casey has been brilliant dating back to 2015. Casey is another Masters stud, with five-career top-10 finishes at Augusta National.
- Dubious cases: Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm -- These guys are all too young to really merit getting into this discussion. However, if we're talking pure ability to play and not inability to win a major (or a lack of experience in them), then these guys are in the discussion.