With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Zurich Classic of New Orleans this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We are at an interesting point in the schedule, with our only official team event on the schedule in the form of the new-and-improved Zurich Classic of New Orleans. You'd think a one-and-done deal makes no sense. However, the Tour is a little sinister this week, making you pick a guy and putting 'em on the hook for the team. So, this is kinda a great week to blow a horrible player in one-and-done, right? In the PGA Tour game, which I imagine is the only league really doing anything this week, they measure based on FedEx Cup points, which is split by the teammates this week. So why not pick the worse player, save the good one and reap the benefits?
2017 Zurich Classic of New Orleans One and Done picks
- Ryan Palmer (Jordan Spieth): With Spieth as his partner, you could ride Ryan Palmer all week and get the benefits of Spieth!
- J.B. Holmes (Bubba Watson): Bubba had a good record when this was an individual event, so could it help to bring in Holmes here?
- Steve Stricker (Jerry Kelly): These guys just got done playing a team event on Sunday on the Champ Tour, so they're in sync and ready to go. Stricker's still playing great golf and likes this course.
- J.T. Poston (or Dominic Bozzelli): These guys are an interesting team since they're young and a little disrespected despite some solid play.
My pick this week will be Ryan Palmer because how else can you backdoor a Spieth pick like that?
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)