With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Genesis Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to near Los Angeles for the newly named Genesis Open, the erstwhile Northern Trust Open, where Riviera Country Club again hosts and demands the best ball-striking in the world to win.
2017 Genesis Open One and Done picks
- Jordan Spieth: Spieth hasn't missed a top-10 finish this season, and he won last week. Had a staggering MC here last year, but he's in a different place now.
- Dustin Johnson: A playoff loser here to James Hahn, DJ is a great pick if you're foolishly not planning to burn him in a major.
- Bill Haas: We've already used Haas in our OAD game, but Haas is a great player here and in form this season, with only top-20 finishes
- Paul Casey: Casey hasn't been opening eyes so far this season, but he's making cash and seems to love Riviera.
- Sergio Garcia: Serg is coming off a W in Dubai, and he's the perfect kind of ballstriker for Riviera.
My pick this week will be Sergio Garcia. I'm unlikely to use Sergio in a major this year at this point, so this is a great spot for him.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia