With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to the San Diego area for the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Golf Courses. Torrey South is a beast, the longest on the PGA Tour, and Torrey North has been renovated by Tom Weiskopf in the intervening year since Brandt Snedeker won in nutty conditions. Bunkers are bigger, the course is longer, the routing has changed.
2017 Farmers Insurance Open One and Done picks
- Jason Day: The world No. 1 has a very good record here, though he shocked with a missed cut last year in the absurd conditions. We don't know where his back is, so that gives us a little pause.
- Jimmy Walker: Walker should be a slam dunk here, but you're probably still licking wounds, like I am, after he wet the bed at the Sony Open in Hawaii. Still, 4 top-15s in five years is hard to ignore.
- Charles Howell III: CH3 remains a great pick this time of year.
- Brandt Snedeker: The defending champion is always a great pick at Torrey Pines. Again, a MC at Sony surprised, but he's reliably in the top 10 here.
My pick this week will be Brandt Snedeker. We'll have more opportunities to use some of these players in other, bigger events, and we should keep those options open for now.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker