The 2016 European Ryder Cup, captained by Darren Clarke, will be made of 12 European-born players (that are also European Tour members), with nine of them qualifying automatically at the end of the European Tour's Made in Denmark tournament and the PGA Tour's The Barclays on Aug. 28.
The nine players who automatically make the European team come from two lists: four players off the European Points List, followed by five players not already qualified off the World Points List.
2016 European Ryder Cup team qualifiers
European Points List
As of Aug. 28
1. Rory McIlroy - 4,171,716
2. Danny Willett - 4,059,361
3. Henrik Stenson - 3,554,055
4. Chris Wood - 2,593,023
World Points List
As of Aug. 21
1. Sergio Garcia (4) - 207.95
2. Rafa Cabrera-Bello (5) - 179.42
3. Justin Rose (6) - 173.09
4. Andy Sullivan (8) - 153.80
5. Matt Fitzpatrick (9) - 153.58
On Aug. 30, Clarke announced his three captain's or wild-card picks were Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Thomas Pieters.
JOIN GNN PLUS AS AN ANNUAL MEMBER & YOU'LL GET:
- A FREE USGA handicap ($30 value, annual members only)
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- Special discounts and member benefits
- An ad-free experience
- Equipment testing data
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research