Tiger Woods hasn't fired Chris Como. That's what the 14-time major winner said after wrapping up a 3-under 68 to open the Quicken Loans National.
When asked if he was still working with the biomechanics expert, dubbed by Woods his "swing consultant," Woods responded knowingly.
"Yeah," Woods said with a smile. "Is there a problem?"
An anonymous Twitter account, @secrettourpro, fired up the Woods rumor mill earlier in the week, suggesting Woods had canned Como after less than a year together. That prompted several reporters to reach out to Como and Woods, through his agent Mark Steinberg. Steinberg told Fox Sports that Woods had no fired Como and Golf Channel that the rumor was the first he had heard of the potential sacking.
The person behind @secrettourpro responded Thursday afternoon with an update to what he is hearing.
Rumour is Como will attend PGA next week so TW doesn't have to answer any questions. After that, Como and TW will be no more. #SecretTourPro
— Secret Tour Pro (@secrettourpro) July 30, 2015
Seeing as though Woods addressed the subject, albeit briefly, on Thursday, that doesn't lend a lot of credence to a rumor that may now be less persistent.
Woods admitted in a pre-tournament news conference on Tuesday that the uptime to see some success with the Como-influenced swing has been longer than he initially expected. However, after a rocky 3-over-through-four start, Woods settled down to make six birdies in the final 14 holes. Woods was pleased that he kept the faith in this round and, perhaps, with Como.
"(I told myself,) 'Just stay patient, just stay with it and it will turn if I stay patient,'" Woods said, "which I did and I mean I had a run there."
--Ryan Ballengee reporting from Gainesville, Va.
THAT WAS FUN, RIGHT?!
Get more from GNN in your inbox, including great deals and contests!
If your email address disappears, it worked! We'll never sell your info.