Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
The 2015 portion of the PGA Tour's 2014-15 season kicks off this week at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions. The field at Kapalua's Plantation Course is reserved only for winners of PGA Tour events in calendar 2014. Four big names -- Rory McIlroy, Adam Scott, Justin Rose and Martin Kaymer -- are missing from the field, but it's still a solid start to the new year.
Now, on to the picks!
- Matt Kuchar: Kuchar hasn't finished worse than ninth here (which is obviously relative, with 34 players in the field this year) in his last four Kapalua starts. He's a top-1o machine, notching 11 last year.
- Bubba Watson: The Masters champion plays his best golf from November-April. He was T-4 here in 2013 and won the WGC-HSBC Champions back in November.
- Chris Kirk: Kirk was a winner in the FedEx Cup playoffs at the Deutsche Bank Championship and had top-15 finishes in a pair of '14-'15 season starts. Kirk was seventh in his Kapalua debut in 2012.
- Hideki Matsuyama: The Japanese stud is making his Kapalua debut, but is a recent winner in Japan at the esteemed Dunlop Phoenix tournament. This will be his breakout year.
- Ryan Moore: Moore's gone back-to-back at the CIMB Classic in Malaysia, which got him into this field. He's been in the top 10 three times at Kapalua, so a good use of Moore this week, who is otherwise pretty streaky.
- Sang-moon Bae: Though Bae faces the possibility of military conscription in his native South Korea, Bae did win the Frys.com Open in October. He's playing the best golf of his life.
- Jason Day: Day, who spent a lot of 2014 injured, had a flurry to finish the year, with three top-seven finishes in the FedEx Cup playoffs (and a WD at the BMW Championship). A healthy Day is a dangerous man.
- Geoff Ogilvy: Ogilvy, who won at Reno-Tahoe to get back here, went back-to-back in this event in 2009 and '10. An injury kept him from a shot at a three-peat, and he hasn't been back since. Hard not to like the track record.
- Jimmy Walker: Walker hasn't won in almost a year, but had a three-win season last year. His best finish of the fall was a T-4 effort in Vegas, but he's been a top-10 machine for the last 40 weeks.
- Patrick Reed: Top 5 Pat was on the medal stand at the Hero World Challenge and showed up Tiger Woods wearing red at his old home club. Middle of the pack here last year. He's streaky but the best of the many streaky options without a favorable Kapalua record.
My DraftKings team for this week:
- Matt Kuchar - $12,100
- Chris Kirk - $9,800
- Sang-moon Bae - $7,300
- Geoff Ogilvy - $7,300
- Robert Streb - $7,200
- Scott Stallings - $6,200
JOIN GNN PLUS AS AN ANNUAL MEMBER & YOU'LL GET:
- A FREE USGA handicap ($30 value, annual members only)
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- Special discounts and member benefits
- An ad-free experience
- Equipment testing data
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research