With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2019 Military Tribute at The Greenbrier, continue at the 2020 The Honda Classic this week and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2020, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
In the last three tournaments, we've had two selections that started strong and then faded badly on the weekend. Dustin Johnson was the other pick, and he was never in the WGC-Mexico Championship, even after two of his last three starts being solid. Golf is a weird game.
We're back to one event this week, with the Florida Swing kicking off at The Honda Classic. PGA National's Champion Course will host a modest field, with the Bear Trap ready to punish the field.
2020 The Honda Classic One and Done picks
Rickie Fowler: Fowler seems like the obvious pick. Maybe too obvious. But a win and a runner-up here in the last three years.
Gary Woodland: Woodland had a few blips on the West Coast Swing, but his season in total has looked good. He's played well here in the past.
Billy Horschel: Horschel notched a WGC top 10 last week, and he's showed some good history here. He usually follows up a good one with another good one.
Tom Hoge: If you're looking for an off-the-board option, Hoge has been on a great run to start the season. If you think he has one more week in him against a weaker field, go for it.
My pick this week will be Rickie Fowler. Went with a couple of somewhat obvious picks last week, and I expect this one to pay off -- unlike those two.
2019-2020 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier: Viktor Hovland (T-10)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Denny McCarthy (T-18)
- Safeway Open: Kevin Na (MC)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Webb Simpson (T-7)
- Houston Open: Scottie Scheffler (T-28)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Danny Willett (T-46)
- Zozo Championship: Adam Scott (T-33)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Patrick Reed (T-8)
- Bermuda Championship: Scott Harrington (T-53)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Charles Howell III (T-20)
- The RSM Classic: Kevin Kisner (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Jon Rahm (10th)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Matt Kuchar (MC)
- The American Express: Vaughn Taylor (T-43)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Tony Finau (T-6)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (T-16)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Jason Day (T-4)
- The Genesis Invitational: JB Holmes (T-51)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Dustin Johnson (T-48)
- Puerto Rico Open: Scott Brown (T-67)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler