With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2019 Military Tribute at The Greenbrier, continue at the 2019 WGC-HSBC Champions and 2019 Bermuda Championship this week and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2020, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We have a two-event week, with the WGC-HSBC Champions in China and the Bermuda Championship in, well, Bermuda.
The Bermuda Championship is a remarkably weak field, even with the reduction in opposite-field event sizes to 120 players. In a sense, that kind of makes picking easier there — even on an unknown PGA Tour venue.
In China, we have a solid field, including Justin Rose, who might just be the guy to love this week. We have to consider a top name given the money on the line.
2019 WGC-HSBC Champions One and Done picks
- Justin Rose: I don’t think of Rose as a guy who wins a major in 2020, so we have to look at him in the WGCs and invitationals. A win (over a melted-down DJ) in 2018 and a medal-stand finish last year.
- Rory McIlroy: Thinking of McIlroy for a few majors in 2020, so I’m going to keep him to the side. But I wouldn’t blame you for picking him with his track record.
- Patrick Reed: Would’ve been a better tip than Adam Scott at the Zozo, and he has a pair of top-seven finishes in the last few years here.
- Rafa Cabrera Bello: He’s playing well enough, coming off a runner-up in the Spanish Open, and he’s got a good record here.
My pick this week will be Patrick Reed. I kinda like where his game is, and he plays well overseas.
2019 Bermuda Championship One and Done picks
- Denny McCarthy: Love him in weaker and opposite-field events. Plays rather well in the island oppos, too.
- Scott Harrington: Finished runner-up in Houston, and he’s got three top-25s out of the gate.
- Maverick McNealy: Three made cuts after missing his first two of the season. Improving each time out.
- Scottie Scheffler: Scheffler has made all four cuts this season, and he’s had three top-30 finishes.
I’m going with Scott Harrington here. He just gives the vibe of a guy who could thrive in this situation, and he’s played well in pressure spots.
2019-2020 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier: Viktor Hovland (T-10)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Denny McCarthy (T-18)
- Safeway Open: Kevin Na (MC)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Webb Simpson (T-7)
- Houston Open: Scottie Scheffler (T-28)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Danny Willett (T-46)
- Zozo Championship: Adam Scott (T-33)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Patrick Reed
- Bermuda Championship: Scott Harrington