With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
First, a quick apology. I was at the PGA Merchandise Show in Florida last week, doing some business for GNN (and our new travel site, GolfTripX) and never found myself with the proper time to sit down and do picks. So I didn’t. I won’t half-ass picks just to make them. However, a number of folks reached out on Twitter for a OAD pick, and I said Jason Day was my guy. So he was my guy.
Now we move to the Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale. Lots of good players to pick this week in a stacked field, though we’ll lean toward some over others.
2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open One and Done picks
- Jon Rahm: Rahm slowed hard on Sunday at Torrey, but his game is clearly in good shape. The temper, not so much.
- Hideki Matsuyama: I would call him a conventional wisdom pick this week. Has been coming around for months, including a very nice week at Torrey Pines.
- Gary Woodland: The defending champion has reached a new level in the last 12 months, in big part thanks to the win here.
- Justin Thomas: Have to acknowledge JT here, though I think you have great choices that you’re not suspecting will win a major this year.
My pick this week will be Hideki Matsuyama. I picked him here last year, and he WD’d, so I feel a little sense of duty to pop him again.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell (WD)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor (T-26)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Rickie Fowler (T-4)
- Mayakoba Golf Classic: Emiliano Grillo (15th)
- The RSM Classic: Lucas Glover (T-11)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Aaron Wise (T-27)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Charles Howell III (T-8)
- Desert Classic: Adam Hadwin (T-2)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Jason Day (T-5)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama