With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2018 Safeway Open, continue this week at the 2018 WGC-HSBC Champions and will continue through to the Tour Championship in Atlanta in August 2019, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We have a doubleheader this week, with the limited-field WGC-HSBC Champions in China and the opposite-field Sanderson Farms Championship in Jackson, Miss.
Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson are the headliners at Sheshan International, and the Web.com Tour grads from the regular season and finals are the highlights in Mississippi.
2018 WGC-HSBC Champions One and Done picks
- Brooks Koepka — The new No. 1 wins big-money events, and he’s seemingly really falling in love with this whole winning a lot thing.
- Dustin Johnson — DJ could be looking for a get-back for fading hard last year with an enormous lead in this event.
- Justin Rose — Rose won here last year, and he continues to be one of the best golfers on the planet.
- Eddie Pepperell — Pepperell is a guy you could use here who’s playing hot golf now, while you can save the higher-ranked players for majors and WGCs in 2019.
My pick this week will be Eddie Pepperell. This is a bit of a gamble play, but I’m thinking of leaning away from top-10 players this week.
2018 Sanderson Farms Championship One and Done picks
- Chris Kirk — He’s one of a few people who finish well in this event most years, though he wet the bed here two years ago.
- Dylan Frittelli — The South African is one of the highest-ranked players in the field, and he did well in the Web.com Tour Finals.
- Julian Etulain — Maybe a little shocking, but the Argentine finished T-14 at the Safeway to get a good start.
- Nick Taylor — The Canadian has been playing well to start the season, and he’s won here.
My pick this week will be Nick Taylor. I’m on the Canadian making a return to the B level of the PGA Tour.
2018-2019 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Sungjae Im (T-4)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (25th)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Paul Casey (T-18)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Eddie Pepperell
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Nick Taylor